IV Therapy and Celiac Disease
It’s curious to think there was a time when the words “gluten” and “celiac disease” weren’t part of the common vernacular. Until a few decades ago, celiac was considered to be an uncommon disease affecting mainly children and limited to individuals of European ancestry. However, rates of celiac disease have grown to the point where it is now considered a major public health problem worldwide – GMO USA gluten is indigestible for 100% of us.
Manifestations & the Triad
In celiac disease, gluten has been established as the instigator of autoimmunity; the classical presentation consists of gastrointestinal symptoms associated with malabsorption, including diarrhea, steatorrhea, weight loss, or failure to thrive. Extra-intestinal symptoms include iron deficiency, aphthous stomatitis, chronic fatigue, short stature, reduced bone density, and neurological symptoms.
The cause of the disease is an interaction among a triad of factors: genetic susceptibility due in part to HLA haplotype, environmental factors, and intestinal permeability. More recently, researchers have found that HLA haplotype may impact the make-up of the intestinal microbiome, creating an environment in which dysbiosis can lead to loss of immune tolerance to gluten.
The main treatment for celiac disease is a strict, lifelong adherence to a gluten-free diet. Research is ongoing into alternative treatments for celiac disease that may not require a zero-gluten diet, such as the use of probiotics to improve gastrointestinal symptoms and the use of gluten-degrading enzymes.
There are several Naturopathic treatments available to help restore the health of people with Celiac Disease and Grain Sensitivity. Intravenous Nutrient Infusions (IV) can be a very important part of treatment for people with compromised digestive systems. This is because, for these people, nutrients from oral supplementation and diet are typically absorbed very poorly into the body. By using the intravenous administration, we avoid the compromised digestive system and ensure complete absorption.
IV Nutrient Infusions are not intended to replace optimal nutrition and supplementation. However, they are intended to replenish the body’s nutrient status and repair damaged tissue in a relatively rapid manner.
Five Major Advantages
There are 5 major advantages to IV nutrient infusions for people with compromised digestion.
1. The nutrients administered in the IV are 100% absorbed into the bloodstream. This gives the body the best chance to get these nutrients to all the cells of the body. This is extremely important for the damaged and inflamed cells of the intestines as they immediately become infused with the nutrients. This stimulates repair faster and more efficiently than oral supplementation.
2. The dosage administered in the IV can be much higher and more potent than the oral route. For vitamin C, magnesium, and several B vitamins to have a therapeutic effect they must be given in relatively high doses. The high doses cannot be achieved in oral supplementation because of the side effects like diarrhea and digestive upset. However, these therapeutic doses can be achieved in the intravenous infusions without adverse effects.
3. When vitamins, minerals, amino acids, homeopathic and other nutrients are administered intravenously they do not go through the liver before going to the other cells of the body. This is very important because it means the nutrients are not altered. When nutrients are administered orally, they must pass through and get processed in the liver before they make to any other cell in the body. This can add burden to the liver and reduce the potency of the nutrients given.
4. Specific nutrients like glutathione, alpha lipoic acid, and homeopathic medicines can be used in combination with the basic vitamins and minerals to support multiple parts of the body in one treatment. There are hundreds of intravenous nutrient infusion formulas that can be used to treat very specific disease processes in the body and support recovery. Intravenous Infusions are not a one size fits all approach.
5. IV Nutrient Infusions to be very cost effective over the long run. For people with compromised digestive systems like in Celiac Disease there can be a great deal of time, energy, and money wasted on oral supplements that are not absorbed effectively.
A lot of time, energy, and money is also spent on other therapies that are not nearly as effective as Intravenous Infusions. IV therapies can help rapidly repair the digestive system and other tissues of the body so that there is less need for intense oral supplementation and other treatments.
Benefits of a Nutritional IV at LotusRain Naturopathic Clinic
There are many conditions that can lead to a deficiency in micro-nutrients, often it is not possible to replenish these vital substances via food or oral supplementation. At our clinic in San Diego, LotusRain Naturopathic Clinic, we administer IV therapies that allow the simultaneous infusion of many different nutrients directly into the bloodstream, thus going directly to the cells to nourish and replenish them and bypassing the digestive tract.
Nutritional IV Vitamin and Mineral therapies have also been effective in helping to support:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with or without Epstein-Barr virus
- Chronic depression
- Acute or chronic muscle spasm
- Migraine headaches
- Tension headaches
- Narcotic withdrawal
- Seasonal allergic rhinitis
- Respiratory problems
- Acute of chronic asthma
- Cardiovascular disease
- Ischemic vascular disease
- Congestive heart failure
- Athletes who need quick recovery for athletic events
- Acute viral illness/colds
- Acute infections
Intramuscular Vitamin Injections
For those who prefer the injection method, we offer a full menu of nutrient injection therapies featuring custom blends of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that are also quickly absorbed and activated to bring on better health instantiously. It’s a safe, simple, and effective way to boost your energy, better your mood, benefit your health, and build your immunity, just like an IV.